Umbilical cord stump is hanging in there but wobbling precariously on a small dock of flesh.
Very exciting stuff, this rotting flesh business of babies. For what it's worth, the necrotizing bacteria, while not exactly the sort of baby smell you'd want to create a deodorant based on, really aren't that enormously malodoriferous either. I'm sort of fascinated by the process, actually, and wonder if he will have an innie. If it's an outie, as the cutter of the cord I will perhaps feel responsible!
The next question will be, to keep it or to throw it away, or to hope that Madeleine eats it before we have to make a decision?
ETA: And it's off! I think we'll document and throw it away, because the cat definitely didn't get to it in his sleeper.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I love the biology of your explanation and the delight you take in the process.
ReplyDeleteAs for the stump itself, take a picture and throw it away! Maybe double or triple wrap it in the trash so it doesn't attract any animals?
But yes, I would *love* to see a picture of a detached umbilical stump.
--Lisa