Sunday, July 12, 2009

These booties are made for walking.

Jolyon so far is a very travel-happy baby. Right now, I think it stems from a deep and abiding love for his carseat, which scrunches him up even more than the swaddling blankets do. The walks in the jogging stroller with the carseat attachment seem even better than the car rides, because in the jogging stroller we hit curbs and turbulence much more than we hit potholes in the road... and somehow, that's a good thing. I'm not questioning it, because it is seriously awesome that trips and walks are the most guaranteed nap times.

Nevertheless, we've made two outings so far, one brief spin around the block (it's a very long, very irregular block if you avoid stairs) and then one standard trip to the bakery to pick up pastries, baguette and rolls, none of which Jolyon directly consumes, but all of which go to Stephanie's need to eat massive quantities of food.

It was fun to go through all of the parts of the neighborhood we walked to in labor, only with a baby in tow this time. Our labor involved me coaxing Stephanie on many, many walks, even on the beginning of the fourth when the contractions got so intense Stephanie couldn't walk through them anymore. We just stopped and slow-danced through the contractions. When the nurse was apologizing for putting us into the birthing suite furthest away from triage because it was the one with the kind of tub we wanted, we went, "Ha, no problem! Walking we can do!"
I think keeping up that level of activity (and the bazillion stairs and corrugated sidewalks) might well explain why Stephanie was able to get dialated even with contractions that technically shouldn't have been able to due to their spacing and intensity.

I haven't yet worked up the nerve to actually run with him in the stroller, especially since technically one shouldn't with the carseat attachment... though many many MANY people do, and honestly, there's not much difference between my brisk walk and my slow jog in terms of pace. I think I might opt for some flatter, less curb-ridden ground for our first actual run together. I definitely will have to adjust my usual running plans, since running in our neighborhood with a stroller means actively avoiding stairs instead of seeking them out (as during labor or attempts to build butt muscles).

I definitely do need to go for a run soon - my last one was on July 3rd, and I'm feeling antsy, and I'm definitely not so sleep deprived that I don't have the energy.

Oh, and the BOB Revolution gets my wholehearted endorsement. It was expensive, but it is fantastic and totally worth it. Maintaining maternal fitness = priceless. I know that our midwife proclaimed, "Oh, babywearing is so much better, you won't even need the stroller!" but I really like to powerwalk even when I'm walking, and that's too much jostling for the baby as per the instructions of the baby wrap we have, and with the stroller we can stow things like diaper bag and a bag full of baked goods without difficulty.

So, Jenny & Jolyon miles for week 1 = 3.5. Only going to increase from here on out!

My brother's photos from the first walk are located in his Seattle and Jolyon album, including the post-walk stupor, along with some other miscellaneous hanging out around the house photos such as burning the midnight oil trying to calm a fussy baby. His camera is better than ours, so you should check it out.

1 comment:

  1. been out of town and just catching up. congrats to you all and welcome to the world baby Jolyon!

    ReplyDelete