Sunday, July 19, 2009

Second week at home

People talk about what a big adjustment it is, but actually, it feels like we've been doing this forever and I really couldn't imagine anything else, now. We're getting into a routine that works well for us, and while it's really great to have Stephanie's parents visiting, I do think we'd manage pretty well flying solo, too.

Jolyon continues to be totally awesome at sleeping in his crib at night, and also during the day if we decide we need to put him down to do something like make dinner. The baby monitor has been really useful for those occasions: even though he sleeps in our bedroom and we don't need it when we're sleeping, it means that we don't have to have a station for putting Jolyon down in every room.

Our sleeping routine is waiting for Jolyon to crash after his evening alert period, putting him down in the crib, getting ready for bed ourselves, then Stephanie gets up 2-3 hours later to feed/change, then back in the crib for another 2-3 hours of sleep, then a feed/change that usually involves me, because he usually has a slight awake period after this. For the last stretch he can go back in the crib if I've taken him for a turn around the apartment, or we just take him to bed with us for the last 2-3 hour sleep period if I don't feel like doing a stint of carrying the baby while I eat or check email or sing a lullaby.

Speaking of which, Schlafe Mein Prinzchen and the birth ball make a pretty unstoppable combo, even when Jolyon is peevish because of gas.

The second week has seen the inauguration of the jogging stroller as a piece of jogging equiptment (BOB Revolution, grade A+), the falling off of the belly button, and a whole lot of baths, as well as Jolyon meeting his Grammy and Poppy and Aunt Christa. We also took a walk in the Moby Wrap (grade A, do recommend) and rediscovered all of those stairs I made poor Stephanie traverse in labor.

The second week in photos is chronicled here! Lisa, it includes thorough stump documentation. Jacob, it includes the wizard outfit, but I think we can with your help stage some even more wizardy photos when you arrive! Dani and Tonka, we'll definitely post some of the placenta print results!

2 comments: