Saturday, July 18, 2009

Historic firsts

So, we just had our first family bath. I was dirty from riding around in the heatwave on my scooter (with full jacket and full helmet because I value my safety, take note, my parents). Stephanie needed to soak her perineum. Jolyon never really needs but always enjoys a bath. We were debating whether I should take Jolyon or Stephanie should, when we realized that we could all three get in the tub, and we did.

It was super fun and not too awkward even in our tiny tub. I really don't see the point of the baby tubs - I totally love baths with our baby, and I'm pretty sure we could even do them with one parent present instead of two, because our magazine basket can definitely double as a baby holder for getting in and out of the tub with both hands.

Then, we also had our first family shower immediately thereafter. Why? Because in the bath, Jolyon also managed his First Time Pooing on the Whole Family At Once... Minus Priscilla who was sitting next to the tub looking smug. (She had a bath a few days ago and is in no hurry to repeat the experience).

For those who have never had experience with newborn poop, it's not a single formed feces that could be scooped out (and bathtime carried on without interruption). It's a million runny seedy little bits which get dispersed everywhere instantaneously while both parents howl with laughter, and while the newborn looks absolutely delighted with himself.

That said, showering also seems to be an extremely viable option for cleaning our baby. Jolyon was not particularly fazed by the whole splashing stream of water thing, and even didn't seem to mind when his face got wet. I very much enjoy a shower as well, and I'm glad that an entire arena of baby bathing options has been opened up.

2 comments:

  1. too funny. i had a feeling that the first bath poop was going to be in this post:) thank goodness you're both good-humored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im like you not really happy with baby bath tubs although we had two. We donated them and moved on to the shower/bath in our regular tub. The first time I brought maya into the shower she was only a week old and I gave her a face full of water I felt so bad! Im a pro at it now and even though they are really really slippery i still prefer it over the whole dunk the baby in the baby tub thing.

    ReplyDelete