Monday, August 24, 2009

Diaper addenda

So, a bit more on the diaper front from the perspective of the other parent, the one who was less gung-ho about the prospect to begin with.

I haven't yet said, "OK, I give up, let's use disposables" (though someone else might have done a few times!).

Why the change of heart? In part because we just spent $350 on diapers, and as the person who goes shopping, that's a equivalent to a huge number of disposables when purchased with a coupon. We are nowhere close to breaking even yet. Additionally, we will soon have our own washer and dryer. (In our house!!1! Accessible without going outside and without waiting for the neighbors to finish with the single dryer!!!1!) Thus it really would be great if we could get cloth diapers to work, since the logistics are about to get a lot easier. So, in for a penny, in for a pound. I really think having committed to this course of action, however reluctantly, we should get these to work as diapers, and not just as butt-padding in the event that Jolyon should be dropped.

However, I am also not doing the middle-of-the-night changes, and during the day it's a lot easier to remain level-headed about the fact that the diaper is failing to actually function. I really feel for Stephanie: she was so excited about cloth diapers, and if she's broken down and said she can't take it any more on multiple occasions, that's saying a great deal, because she's not even prone to hyperbole like me. (Note: I would probably not really deforest an acre of rainforest with a machete.)

I want to add a few more points of clarification about the nature of our failure, in the hopes that one of our cloth-diaper-loving friends can help us figure out what's up.

Although some of the diaper-fails have been as an immediate result of peeing in a new, dry diaper, more of the epic diaper failures have been happening at night. Perhaps this is because we are using disposables when we are out and about, which is most days, but this could also be a result of more frequent changing during the day. We've already established previously that Jolyon is an unusually long sleeper.

However, I am really loath to wake a sleeping baby to change his diaper. Although he sleeps through pretty much anything, changing his diaper is the only exception, because he haaaates it. This morning I did a diaper change when he fell asleep right after eating, and he howled with absolute ferocity, but fell asleep again afterwards... but that's not usual.

I always make sure the diaper is properly adjusted, and spend a while fussing with it to make sure it's properly secured. We learned that lesson early on: we make sure it's as tight as we can get it, because otherwise, it is guaranteed to leak (this was the case back in the early days when the infant insert was enough absorption, even). The downside is that the cloth diapers therefore leave major welts on his legs. They definitely can't get any tighter without removing circulation to his legs.

And yes, we are making sure his peeing apparatus is angled down, too.

The diapers are very carefully pre-stuffed so we are sure that the insert is properly flat in the diaper and not bunched up, so that's definitely not the problem, either.

We are using the recommended washing and drying techniques to the letter: 5-star-rated detergent in the reduced amounts, just as recommended, then drying the inserts in the dryer and hanging the diapers to dry so that the velcro doesn't die.

So, some theories as to what could be going wrong:

It's possible that he's just not wide enough for them to fit properly yet. He is now 10 lbs, which is above the minimum weight, but he's 90%ile height and 30%ile weight, so he's really spreading a low amount of weight through a longer length. Thus, I suspect our Jolly might be less wide than a lot of 10 lb babies, and therefore, the usual rules might not apply. That could suggest that we just need to wait a bit for his thighs to get girthier and his belly to chunk up. However, the fact that they used to work better than they do now does make this unlikely. Plus, BumGenius is supposed to be best at fitting newborns of all the one-sized diapers, and he's now a 7-week-old.

Perhaps he has just been sleeping longer stretches and that causes the diaper to fill up and leak. This would be a dealbreaker for us - we're not willing to wake ourselves and him up more regularly in order to battle with cloth diapers. We can try to do the gigantor-stuffing for nighttime, though... and perhaps there are more absorbent inserts we could try, in addition to the microfiber?

Perhaps his bladder has gotten bigger and he is therefore peeing more at once, so that a single pee can exhaust the capacity of the diaper. Again, not much to do about this, except stuff in more inserts (or perhaps more absorbant ones, though I've heard the microfiber is really the most absorbant, and also, it's not like we're dying to spend more money on cloth diapering right now).

Alternatively, our diapers need to be stripped, but really, that shouldn't be the case yet after such a short period of time and limited use. But still, is probably worth a shot, in case our water quality is somehow weird.

All in all, I would recommend that new parents trust their instinct about disposables being easy and convenient before they shell out lots of money for a cloth diaper that is the best of the options, but still not actually very useful... but since we have spent $$$ on these, I'm game for troubleshooting them to try to get our money's worth.

On the plus side, the fact that we received a bunch of 0-3 month outfits as gifts right after we went shopping, means that we have way more clothing in this size than we had intended, and at the moment, we've been needing all of it. Right now we actually ran out and he's wearing a 3-6 month sleeper, fits decently in the torso because of the enormous double-stuffed diaper that goes to his knees (literally, I'm not kidding)... but of course the arms and legs are ridiculously too long, still.

5 comments:

  1. Here's my two cents, for what it's worth. I use g diapers on my little one. BUT. I use the disposable inserts rather than the cloth ones (still completely biodegradable and supposedly you can actually flush the inserts although I don't because I don't trust my pipes...). And they are pretty great. Although I will say that as she has gotten bigger they have gotten easier. She used to poop out of them every single time. Now her poop is contained pretty much every time. So as the baby gets bigger it might get easier. Although my baby is the opposite of Jolyon. She is a PORKER. Short and fat with lots of rolls. That might make a difference.

    That being said, I am doing opposite of you guys. I use the g diapers all day long and one disposable at night. You really can't beat it for the night time. I change her before she goes down at around 8:00pm and don't change her again until at least 7:00 in the morning and she is always FINE. One disposable diaper is okay if it equals me a decent night sleep (at least that is how I justify it in my own head).

    I would say keep doing what you're doing and let him leak it out during the day until he gets a little bigger and see if it gets easier. But I would definitely give him the one disposable at night. You won't regret it. Like I said, that's just my two cents...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm anxious for the results on the disposable vs. cloth debate. anna and i would really love to use cloth. i believe we will give them a hardy try once arden is born, but hearing how things are for other families is helpful. also, one thing i hadn't considered before your little jolyon, silly as it seems, is that babies can vary a lot. long, skinny, short, round. it makes me more indecisive about registering for clothes and such. so many decisions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bum Genius have worked beautifully for us but I bet baby shape is working to our advantage. Zannie's chubby little thighs ensure that the diaper fits snuggly and doesn't easily leak out the sides. Also, I noticed that she doesn't pee at all during the night but has a massive output first thing in the morning, around 7am, right after she has "breakfast". So we put the thick insert in at night and she fills it completely in the morning. (I used to check it every 2-3 hours during the night to make sure she wasn't peeing at night).

    I wish I had advice but I know you two are super smart and have tried everything that's logical. If you want to be earth-friendly perhaps you should try to use cloth during the day and disposables at night, like your friend recommended.

    You could try elimination communication, but that's a lot easier with poop than pee. Since the weather's nice, I had Zannie outside naked today so I could figure out what her cues are just before she pees. I need to take more data tomorrow.

    On that note, are you three interested in another play date tomorrow afternoon? I was thinking of inviting Christie and Hazel over as well. Let me know if you're game.

    -Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read somewhere that bumgenius nappies need to be washed up tp ten times before they reach their full "soakability." Can't vouch for that info.

    Also Microfibre inserts are *really* good. We use them with E and sometimes when we take off the nappy it will be a little damp, but the insert is sopping. If you guys have access to a (heavy duty) sewing machine, ours are just three rectangular layers sewn together. It might be worth just buying half a yard or so and using it in addition to your current inserts.

    HTH
    Ourgosling

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have to admit I skimmed this rather than giving it the usual careful read I do of your entries, because diapers are a sensitive subject here! We are still learning about poop diaper fails - and also, the sheer number of diapers we get through in a 24 hour period is staggering. How many do you guys get through?

    ReplyDelete