Saturday, December 12, 2009

Distractable baby

So via chat one of our blog friends described Jolly as "enthusiastically windmilly" and I think that's about the best description ever. Thanks, Kate!

So far the only reliable way to shut down the windmill action is to swaddle - so, I suspect we will have a hard time weaning from the swaddle, since it's the only way he can focus on eating in the evenings.

Tonight we had a round of getting spazzy over dinner because he was hungry. After dinner, I handed Jolly over to Ephiny. He went from being disgruntled that he wasn't eating, to smiling happily at me across the sofa. Hi there! And obviously not eating. Ephiny finally draped a burp cloth over his head so he could focus on food intake. I wonder if someone has marketed baby versions of the blinkers (blinders?) horses pulling carriages get attached to their bridles so they aren't distracted by their surroundings. Because that would really be pretty useful in our household these days.

But, I totally love how interactive Jolly is getting and how much more he's interacting with his environment and other members of the household (i.e. our cats).

2 comments:

  1. There is something called the "hooter hider" that is actually intended for use when breast feeding in public. But I have found that it is a really useful tool to also drown out all the noise and chaos from the outside world when trying to feed. And I hate to break it to you, but it only gets worse. The Girl is HORRIBLE when I try and feed her now. I pretty much always have to go into a different room where there is nothing going on. Otherwise she is ripping her head around in all directions trying to check everything out. And that is no fun with my nipple in her mouth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think using continuing to use the burp cloth as an improvised hooter hider definitely might help. Thanks for letting us know that this is usual and that we can expect the world to keep getting even more interesting in the months to come - that seriously does help!

    ReplyDelete