Friday, September 18, 2009

Things Jolyon does NOT like

So, Jolyon likes most things. Even diaper changes and clothing removal have become less traumatic affairs lately, and the two-month immunizations were also not a big deal.

Our little guy seems pretty delighted with the world, and especially his hands, which he's started bringing together yesterday, so he's now spending most of the time rubbing his hands together like he's either practicing for swine-flu preventing hand-washing or like he's scheming for world takeover.

So I had Jolyon in my lap while working on my lab manual and he was doing the hand clasp thing and smiling, and I asked Stephanie for the camera to document this new skill. I took a photo. He sneezed. I said, "Gesundheit!" He sneezed again. I said, "Gesundheit!" again. Then, he smiled. Hilarious.

It was only when I sneezed that Jolyon looked incredibly cross. I sneezed again. Jolyon wailed bloody murder, complete with tears of pathos that we didn't even get for the immunizations. I snapped some pictures because it was just too funny - we don't see his very distressed faces often but they are hilarious, with the downturned corner of the mouth just like a standard frowny face. It took a while for me to calm him down.

This happened earlier today as well - I sneezed, he wailed and made faces of great distress. I'd chalked it up to coincidence that he was just getting tired, but no, it happened again this time in the middle of a very happy period (which has been restored since).

Apparently, my sneezing is at the top of the list of Things Jolyon Absolutely Detests and Will Not Abide... Right next to the Moby Wrap when he's not sleeping, and being held too long, and having control of his limbs when he's tired. Sorry, little guy. I do have unusually violent sneezes. I just hope I don't get a cold anytime soon.

While I was writing that paragraph, I shifted Jolyon's position lying across my lap, and in doing so, picked him up and kissed him on his cheek. It was vomit-streaked. (We can call it "spit up" all we like, even in German, but it's still vomit.) I didn't even mind in the slightest. I am SO a pro at this mom thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment