Friday, September 25, 2009

Sitting pretty, and baby's first bus ride

With increasing ability to hold his head up, Jolyon now likes to sit up (fully supported, of course) in our laps. This greatly enhances our ability to do things like eat dinner with him, since previously he would be cross if held too long when awake since he just wanted to lie down and kick. While that still remains one of his favorite activities, he has expanded his repertoire. We theorize that he enjoys being able to see what's going on around him, which would be consistent with his dislike of being in the Moby wrap when awake. Perhaps he will like it better when he can hold his head up well enough to face outward.

We tested his Moby endurance today by taking him on his first bus trip - three separate bus rides, in fact. Jenny had to take the car to work, so Jolyon and I took the bus downtown for an appointment. Then we took another bus to the ferry terminal, then the ferry to our new island home, then another bus from the terminal to the island center, where we met Jenny who had taken the ferry at the other end of the island. As previously established, Jolyon was alright with the Moby only while asleep, which could only be achieved with movement, either of me or the bus. During the 15-minute wait for one bus, I paced back and forth on the sidewalk while humming an impromptu "waiting for the bus" song.

We have also expanded breastfeeding locations to include: during a consultation at the tattoo parlor, and on the #54 bus.

3 comments:

  1. I got a new tattoo when Miles was about 2 months old and the employees were not at all happy about him being there (not because he was being 'bad', which he wasn't, but I guess because of the possibility of him being 'bad'...and they didn't want anyone under 18 to be in the shop). Sadly, I had to get the tattoo while my wife and baby were strolling the streets outside. Did they say anything about the baby at your tattoo parlor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if its safe to have a tattoo while breastfeeding......I want to get another one so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strawberry: the artist didn't seem to have a problem with Jolyon being there, but I don't know if he'd be allowed during the actual tattooing. There's not much of a waiting area, so I was planning on going by myself anyway when I get it done eventually.

    Dani&Tonka: I did some research and found that if you go to a reputable shop that follows strict hygiene standards (which you'd want to do anyway), the risks are pretty minimal. There's always some risk with getting a tattoo, but it's not like in pregnancy when the baby is sharing your bloodstream.

    ReplyDelete