Tuesday, June 16, 2009

37 weeks and 6 days... or, really, 38 weeks!

Baby is doing well, dropped down even further, and s/he continues to hang out preferentially on the left side, with the feet over on the right. This results in a very noticable dent in the middle, and sometimes very lopsided positioning of the bump. (Stephanie's belly button IS in the middle of her stomach, I promise.)



We had a midwife appointment this morning, at which we turned on the ultrasound machine for just a few seconds to verify that the baby was indeed head down. Also had the first cervical check, upon request. It's very soft, effaced but only a teeny bit dilated. Doesn't especially mean anything about the imminence of labor, but we were just curious.

We also met with our doula for the last pre-birth meeting yesterday, mostly talking about interventions and the course of labor. She lent us two dvds that we watched: Orgasmic Birth and Pregnant in America: Miscarriage of a Nation. Neither is the sort of video we would have picked out on our own, but we enjoy watching birth stories unfold so a very good time was had during the former. We don't particularly expect to have an orgasmic birth, for the record, but for the people who are having that experience: more power to you. It did make me feel better about the whole natural childbirth plan as being doable, as well as having moments of humor and generally just being a good time. Pregnant in America, on the other hand, was not really up our alley and I don't especially recommend it. The Business of Being Born achieved much of the same aims with less sensationalism, and was overall much more watchable.

We've done a bit more baby-area room setup since this photo was taken, but inquiring minds had wanted to see how we'd squeezed the additional furniture into our bedroom:


Our baby shower was this weekend, and it was awesome!! I won't post pictures of the event because there are other people in them who presumably don't necessarily consent to having their photos publicized, but, I will share a picture of the cookies that Stephanie and I made the morning of:

The best part are the tiny snaps that Stephanie added with tweezers! So cute!!

I'll be sure to snap a photo of the flags people made when we hang them up on the wall above the crib (see the blank space on the wall above the crib and the dresser that will become the changing table). We also got a lot of great presents (Some more blankets suitable for swaddling! A preemie-sized outfit which will be just the thing for taking our baby home from the hospital in!), which have all been catalogued into the baby book we ended up getting ourselves when I found out that my job was continuing full-time next year.

That baby book is, by the way, truly spectacular and worth the splurge. Not only does it come wrapped in an adorable ribbon suitable for belting a muu-muu-fitting dress to make it more dressy for one's PhD defense, but it's really gorgeous, tasteful and gender-neutral for both the baby and the parent. The poems it has made me cry when I read it the first time. I'm really looking forward to filling it out!

4 comments:

  1. Hey there ladies...we got this book while we were visiting family in the US: http://www.ourworldourfamily.com It's also really great because it's a baby book especially for two mommies...and woohooo...your baby will be here pretty soon :) Greetings from Germany, J & S

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! you two are so close to meeting your little one. adorable cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not long now! The tummy will shrink quickly (I was quite surprised, you can't even tell I was pg 11 days postpartum). Get as much rest as you can guys, and if I could make a couple of suggestions from the last few days 'experience'.
    1) get waaay more maternity pads than you think you'll need.
    2) I know you're aiming for a natural birth - get some urinary alkalizer (the brand here is 'Ural' but just ask at a pharmacy). Makes things sooo much easier on the poor possibly grazed and torn bits when you have to pee later!
    Stephanie, you are amazing, and congratulations on your doctorate. I hope to follow in your footsteps sometimes soon, but in the meantime, the breast pump is calling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We definitely appreciate that there are multiple options for baby books online, especially since our local bookstore was VERY limited. The Our World, Our Family book is cute but not really what we were looking for in terms of how much fill-in-the-blank there was, although I know that works very well for a lot of people.

    The baby will be here sometime in the next four weeks. Awesome!

    Thanks about the cookies! We had a lot of fun decorating them.

    And Kate, wow on the fast recovery in terms of getting your prepreg shape back! I think a lot of that must be genetic, and that you didn't gain that much weight.
    1)I bought two enormous boxes of maternity pads on advice of our doula. We don't normally use pads so I was a bit shocked at how enormous the boxes are, but then I guess the pads themselves are of considerable size, especially for the super-duper overnight ones with big panel covering the bottom. If we need more, I have no qualms about sending my poor brother out to get them at the store for us. :)
    2.) that's such good advice! I'll try to find the US equivalent - I had no idea such a thing even existed!

    We totally appreciate all the advice and well wishes so much!

    ReplyDelete