Monday, May 4, 2009

32 weeks

Everything is still going really well.

I had a cold and spent most of the weekend so far sleeping. I am now feeling better, though, and now Stephanie has the same symptoms I had. The fact that I'm feeling better reassures everyone that it isn't swine flu, though, and I hope it'll be as quickly surmounted by Stephanie's immune system.

We still have an amazingly active baby that's still relocating a lot. The best part is that we can now SEE where the baby is and isn't based on noticable dents and lumps in Stephanie's belly. So far, that tends to be turned off center a lot so the bump is noticably assymmetrical, but which side it is changes many times during the day. Occasionally, the baby gets into these crazy positions that leave major lumps in Stephanie's midriff. It's also getting to be hilarious to WATCH Stephanie's stomach moving and reshaping itself in response to the movements of the inhabitant. Much better than TV!

However, in spite of all the movement and shifting around, the overall trend has changed from kicking low to kicking high meaning that the baby is generally head-down, and that was confirmed at the midwife appointment this morning. Heartrate 150, measuring on target, everything looking totally fine. We have appointments every two weeks now, and shifting to every week in another month.

We also met with our fabulous doula this morning and talked about our birth plan. We're so excited about working with the birth center at our hospital - they're really great about not just allowing but helping people to have the sort of experience that they want, and our doula is also fantastic in helping us figure out what it is that we want.

In other excellent news, while I still don't get maternity leave this fall, I DO get paid full-time in the upcoming year. That's an incredible relief and I feel truly, deeply lucky, because there's an astonishing number of positions being axed altogether.

Stephanie is soldiering bravely ahead with PhD defense at 37 weeks, 1 day, and the thesis submission the next day at 37 weeks, 2 days. Our baby shower is two days later... and THEN the baby can come. :)

4 comments:

  1. Glad everything is going well!

    How can she defend before she submits?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The draft goes out to the committee first of all (has already happened). The committee provides comments, she makes revisions, and then once the thesis is one, she can defend it. The submission is when the final thing gets handed in to the graduate school for binding in book format, and you can only do that once your committee has signed the slip of paper that your verbal defense has been passed. I know the order is different in other countries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything sounds like it's going wonderfully! It's going to be a quick ride to the end- enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome news on your pay not going down. Still a bummer to not have maternity leave.

    And it's so cool that Stephanie is going to finish her PhD before the baby is born. You two rock!

    ReplyDelete