Thursday, May 28, 2009

Emotional couvade

So I have been getting super emotional in a sappy/happy sort of way lately. Books and movies about children in peril mash my buttons more relentlessly than before: I have cried in airports reading romance novels about orphans, more than once.

But the most dramatic demonstration of this is my response to the country station. I commute to a nearby city, and our Awesome Local Radio Station That Plays Intereting Music of Quality goes out of range midway through the drive to work. (They used to have a Tacoma frequency, but not anymore, sadly.) Sometimes I listen to podcasts or audiobooks, but these days, I find myself wanting to ruminate about the baby and daydream during that time instead... so instead, I give in to my favorite guilty pleasure, the bad cheesy Today's Country station that plays a lot of ballads and the kind of country music that I pretend I don't like but really deep down inside kind of enjoy. (Yeah, internet, it'll be our little secret.)

So the other day, this song came on:


By the time Brad Paisley uttered "I could just see you, with a baby on the way" I totally lost it. I was crying before the stanza finished up with "What I can't see is how I'm ever gonna love you more... But I've said that before."

Granted, I think they'd just played that song about a man whose wife is battling cancer ("there was a time, back before she was mine, when I thought I was tough") which I like to think softened me up a bit in advance. But, still, seriously. Crying in the car to the country station. I am so ready to be a mom.

And Stephanie listened to the whole video with me just now even though I know she hates (haaates!) modern pop-style country, and she cried too, and frankly, that makes me love her even more.

1 comment:

  1. Now you've got me crying, too *lol*. Habe mir gerade euren Blog durchgelesen und ich finde es absolut witzig, dass wir a) die gleichen Namen haben und b) diejenige mit dem Anfangsbuchstaben S. das Kind austrägt :) Schade, dass wir uns in Seattle nicht über den Weg gelaufen sind *g*. Greetings from Germany, J.

    ReplyDelete