I've been in activated crafts-mode lately.
I went to Babies R Us last weekend to pick up a couple of different kinds of glass bottles, for eventual use with pumped breast milk. We didn't want to register for those because we really just wanted to get an assortment of what's out there, to see what model of nipple ends up working best with our model of baby.
While I was there, I noticed that there is a lot of very ugly baby clothing out there. We needed a bunch of onesies, but I was definitely not going to get ones with cutesy sayings on, like "Lil' Stinker" and "Daddy's Little Princess" and "If You Don't Give Me What I Want I'm Going to Grandmas". (No offense to anyone reading who likes the quip-style onesies and/or likes those, but it just isn't our style.) So, instead, I bought plain white onesies and a lot of fabric paint.
I'm sure we'll make the transition from nerdy/geeky babywear to "Little Disney Princess" and boy equivalents as soon as our child hits the toddler years and starts having opinions. But in the meantime, we are totally going to have a Very Good Time Indeed outfitting our baby in things that we find funny, even if no one else does.
So far, we have:
- "Strong like Conan"
- "Diploid (2n)"
- "Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for breakfast" (with a little drawing of a dead fish, of course)
- "Give Quiche A Chance" (this, like the above, is a lame obscure Red Dwarf reference)
In the works:
- "Mr Flibble is very cross" with a picture of a stuffed penguin (ditto above on the lame Red Dwarf joke)
- "My Mama and Mummy (heart) me", and probably some kind of "I <3 Mummy and Mama" reciprocal version.
- "Mammal/Saeugetier" (with a picture of a platypus, naturally!)
- A ball-and-stick model of oxytocin, the bonding hormone
- "Twinkle twinkle Little Star, I don't wonder what you are, for by your spectroscopic ken, I know you are hydrogen!" (with a picture of a star)
- "Ceci n'est pas un bebe" - only funny once it gets photographed, so that it's not a baby, but a photograph of a baby, heee. Sadly, I don't think the appeal of this is widespread enough to use for baby announcements, but I think it's hilarious.
On the last, I can't promise that I won't stick a fake moustache on our baby, photograph and put it in the scrapbook with the label L.H.O.O.Q. because "Her butt is very hot" might literally apply to a baby in a big diaper, and if a baby isn't a readymade object waiting to be made into art, I don't know what is.
I never knew that having a baby could connect so seamlessly to my art history courses, seriously. And, if anyone has any other fun ideas for things to put on onesies, we have a lot more that aren't spoken for yet and I'm absolutely dying for inspiration!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




oh wow i found you guys! this is kat. i was going through the lesbianfamily expecting blogs. anna and i had a good laugh over you graph (we didn't know it was you at the time) and i told her that i could see her doing the same thing. she's an engineer and loves her excel spreadsheets :) come check out my blog. later!!
ReplyDeleteHa, that's so great! I think we might need to put pictures into the sidebar like you did - your wedding photo is lovely by the way!
ReplyDeleteJust read through all your blog posts! I hope you're feeling better again. The no dairy thing sucks!
Are you going to the Maybe Baby meeting this week?