Last Wednesday I was having what could have easily been The Worst Day Ever. Had to go in to work on an "off" day to set things up, which also meant that I missed the midwife appointment (first one I haven't been there for). On my way to work, I was stalked by a guy on the bus who watched me nap and then left me a really long letter of amazingly inept, creepy courtship ("I respect my elders! I am not a woman beater! I like to have fun!"). The awesome continued when I actually got to work and found out that my PCR hadn't worked at all, so I had to do a lot of mad troubleshooting to try to get the student's lab set up for the following day. Stayed really late, saying "But I wasn't even supposed to BE HERE today!" in a woebegon tone of voice, just like in Clerks. A slew of more minor things went wrong, too, but throughout it, I reminded myself that we are 3/4 done with this pregnancy and that is absolutely AMAZING, so really, things are pretty awesome in the big scheme.
And, they are.
Baby is hanging out head-down more often now, although s/he's still turning. Stephanie had a Braxton-Hicks contraction for the first time. Baby continues to be super-active, reassuring us that everything is going swimmingly for him/her in there. A good friend came to visit for the past week. Stephanie sent out a draft of her PhD dissertation, a major mile-stone in her mission to defend before the baby gets here! Another, local friend is throwing us a baby shower on June 14th, Flag Day, which is going to be incredibly fun, and we had an organizational meeting! We are throwing a baby shower for friends of ours, which is so incredibly up my alley and will be a blast to plan! We took a tour of the birth center in our hospital and we really liked it! The tour was given by our doula, who is awesome! We even have a draft of the birth plan to discuss with the Awesome Doula at our next meeting! We sent away the cord blood donation forms after our donor assured us he had none of the applicable diseases in his family history! We signed the paperwork that sets the stage for me being able to adopt the baby!
In the domestic frivolities department, we decided what we are doing for our birth announcements (no, not telling, that would be spoiling the fun, although I will say that, as with many things in my life, Martha Stewart is my hero). I think I will pick out and buy the stamps today, and am profoundly grateful for the fact that the stamps to choose from are better than the ones we were dealing with when we were mailing out wedding invitations (aka The Year Of The Ugliest LOVE Stamp In Time Immemorial).
We also found a two-mom-suitable baby book at long last, which is something that has annoyed me for a long time since I am both incredibly particular about aesthetics and really wanted a baby book that wasn't quite fill-in-the-blank but had enough guidance that Stephanie would also be writing in it (I'm the scrapbooker in our relationship).
So, all in all, things are pretty great right now, and I'm feeling incredibly lucky that everything is continuing to go so well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




We also found a two-mom-suitable baby book at long last,Oooh, link please! I'm not quite happy with our one.
ReplyDeleteSummer
I am embarrassed to link to it because it is WAY EXPENSIVE. Like, REALLY expensive, even if you get the factory seconds, because it's a small printing press, letterpress printing, resuscitating a 100-year-old baby book with handbinding. http://kistnersupply.com/book/pageviews.htm
ReplyDeleteBut we didn't like the aesthetics or fill-in-the-blank nature of the two-mom-specific ones we saw online, and we didn't want to attack a gendered-parent one with whiteout, and we didn't want to do a scrapbook or blank journal because then I would be the only one writing in it... so ultimately, we decided that the $108 is worth it even if that is RIDICULOUS objectively seen. I am choosing instead to think of it as patronage of the arts.