Rip, sullenly rejecting various books he picks up off the shelves: "I don't like this book."
Me: "Uh huh."
R: "It doesn't have trucks in it."
Me: "Mmmm."
R, explaining very slowly and clearly as though it is new information being presented: "I like books with TRUCKS in them."
Me: "Yes, Rip, I know."
R, with increasing dejectedness as he swipes aside yet another book about bunnies: "I want a TRUCK BOOK!"
And while a nice woman with her single child holding a wide variety of books probably chosen for their literary acclaim rather than their vehicle contents watches with fascination, I feed Tammy a bottle and we try to find a truck book in the morass of books about ANIMALS at the library. Seriously, so many.
It seems like we have read every book about trucks that exists, and we have all the better ones. Rip's chorus upon finding a truck book at the library is, "Do we have that one?"
On the plus side, though, he's willing to listen to books of all kinds, now. (The shrieking sobs of "TUT! TUT!" from when he was a wee just-turned-1-year-old are over, at least if it's clear that he will get a chance to pick another book again soon.) Moreover, he pays keen attention even when it seems that he's zoning out or playing with something else, because the moment a random vehicle shows up somewhere in the backdrop of an illustration: "What kind of truck is thaaaat?"
Tammy mostly just tries to eat books, but the ONE book she's really engaged in, every time, and turns the pages and stares intently at, is this one:
Our copy has since been lovingly edited by Rip who disagrees vehemently with many of the classifications made within. ("That's NOT a digger. That's an EXCAVATOR!") As per his modifications, Tammy is now learning about "Crash Rescue Vehicles" rather than "Airport Fire Trucks", so her truck-enthusiasm is clearly in safe hands. Thanks, big brother. I think the torch is just being passed.
Confidential to the many people who make comments like, "Oh, two boys and you finally got your girl, now you can QUIT." -- my children can HEAR, you know.




No comments:
Post a Comment