Saturday, June 28, 2014

Rip: I am Batman!
Jolly: Batman solves crime.
Rip: No! Batman plays with TRUCKS.
Jolly: NOOOOOO. Batman solves crime.
Rip: NO!
Ephiny: Batman can too play with trucks if he wants to. He has lots of cool vehicles, like the batmobile!
Rip: Eh!

----

Rip, while reading "If I Could Drive a Backhoe": I love to play with trucks.
Jolly: I DON'T like trucks.
Guinevere: Really. Then how come you just gave me your bedtime book selection, and it's 'If I Could Drive a Fire Truck'?
Jolly: Hee hee.

----

Jolly is really into the triple stroller, which we walked to the ferry today and then walked to the park for a friend's birthday party. I think it's in part because it garners a huge amount of attention whereever we go. On the way home, he was clarifying the words single, double and triple, and I added quadruple to his vocabulary. Of course, he next asks about quadruple strollers and whether we'll get one. I say I am not sure there are any quadruple strollers, just wagons to pull. Jolly asks me to investigate, and I do when we get home. It turns out there are indeed a few quad strollers, but they are generally labelled "commercial" because clearly the only person who would want one is someone running a daycare. Jolly is entranced, Ephiny is adamantly opposed. I have a suspicion that when we have our caboose child, the occupants of the triple stroller keeping LastBaby company will be Jolly and Tammy, with Rip soldiering alongside on foot. That's also the arrangement we had on our last Costco shopping trip. Rip is a trooper and does well with goal-directed exercise, which is good, because he doesn't get his daily cardio by ricocheting off the walls like certain other children we could name.

---

Goal-directed exercise is harder for Jolly, but he did a 2k race a few weeks ago, while Rip did the diaper dash. I'm very proud of him! Tammy could have entered in the diaper dash if she were crawling, but she is... not. Definitely not, even though she got Rip's race shirt (which is a 2T). She's showing even less interest than her big brothers, and man, she haaaaates tummy time still. She can lift her head wonderfully but moves into "angry raging faceplanted on the floor" when she's had enough, which is not exactly conducive to learning to crawl. Happily, she has big brothers who bring her toys and pile them up around her wherever she is put down.

Also I want to write about Tammy's newborn quirks before we forget them. When she gets excited, she does this hilarious full-body tensing of the muscles. It's especially noticable in her arms. She just sort of short-circuits from the intensity of joy. It's then followed by gleefully flailing her arms about, or shoving something into her mouth with tremendous glee.

Tammy's favorite food of all time appears to be salmon. She can put away surprising quantities of it. She also seems to like everything else, as long as she can feed it to herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment