Thursday, June 19, 2014

Babies, names... and scatological humor (of course)

Rip is really into rhyming games. All his rhymes are starting with a p, however. The pinnacle is a joke, "Have you ever seen a dump truck pump truck?"

The reason is really sad. When we were considering Rip's name, I had expressed a millisecond of concern about the R____-Poopert potential teasing, and it was quickly dismissed as ridiculous, because hey, COOPER is a popular name and honestly, who would even come UP with that. But, lo, the person who comes up with that is... Jolly. He is also the sort of person to think that is hilarious and should never, ever be dropped. So, there is a looooot of R_____-Poopert going on. All the time, to the point apparently that my poor second child thinks that the only way to rhyme is to add a p.

So now Rip utters gems like, "Mummy is a pummy."

He then adds, "[Tammy] is a PEE-bee (rhymes with baby)." Is that... a hurting word? Funny? I don't know.

Speaking of babies, Jolly is remaining steadfast in his resolution to have 10 children, incidentally. He thinks we should name a future child "Sam or Rosalie or Charlie."

Rip generally thinks he will have 5 children*, and then he counts very clearly ONE-TWO-THREE-FOUR-FIVE to make sure that his point is coming across - I suspect he is showing off, as his counting beyond five is a little less reliable (he can mostly get to 12, but sometimes he gets excited and skips things, and beyond 5 he also starts to lose the pointing-to-and-identifying-the-nth-item part of the counting, too). He thought that we should name a future baby... Poo-head. When I pointed out that you cannot name a baby a hurting word, at least not in many countries/states, he thought for a while, and then decided that College was better. In spite of my wariness of word-names, I do agree with him there.

Things about which I am not worried: whether I will have any grandchildren.

*Recently, though, Rip announced that he would have one child, named R____-Pupe... no, wait, two children. Their names will be R____-Poopert and J____-Napoleon. I thought it was actually kind of sweet that he quickly hastily ammended his one-child plan to make sure there would be a Jolly to his Rip in the next generation. They get along surprisingly well considering that his brother calls him Poopert most of the time... and Rip can always get him back with the Napoleon, which Jolly for whatever mysterious reason HAAAATES beyond all reason. (He disliked it even before being shown paintings of Napoleon Bonaparte; not sure what that's about.)

Edited to add: Rip finds R____-Poopert to be entertaining. It is Jolly who screams that J____-Napoleon "is a huuuuurting word!"

No comments:

Post a Comment