Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Baby!

Rupert James (the baby formerly known as Iceman and henceforth RJ on the blog) was born 10/23 at 5:14 am, at the impressive size of 10 lbs 10 oz and 22 inches, with a 38.5 cm head. Guinevere earned the respect of the entire birth team by pushing out a Baby of Unusual Size after a very long labor (~45 hours from first contractions.)

The first day of RJ's life was very scary, as his blood oxygen levels were very low shortly after birth and he was breathing with difficulty. After a chest X-ray revealed problems with his lungs, he was rushed via ambulance in a baby transport isolette pod to the Level 3 NICU at a different hospital and put on oxygen and an IV and a lot of monitors. Guinevere was discharged only 4 hours after giving birth in order to accompany him. Happily, by the next day he had improved enough to be discharged to the Level 2 special care nursery at our original hospital, where he will be staying at least until the end of this week for antibiotics and monitoring. Our biology nerd status has been serving us in good stead, and we are doing very well.

As the food source, Guinevere is staying in the hospital, while Ephiny is spending days with Iceman and nights with Jolly. Jolly has been having a lot of fun with his awesome uncle, who is stating with us for a couple of weeks and helping tremendously. Jolly got to meet his baby brother in the hospital, and on the way home declared, "I love baby Rupert and Mummy and Mama.". He is very excited about being a big brother.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on welcoming RJ to your family!! And wow....10 pounds!

    I'm sorry to hear he had trouble at first, but so glad he's doing much better.

    I hope all of you are home safe and sound soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, congratulations! Sorry for the scary ride, but glad everyone is on the mend and will be home soon. He's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh he's so big and cute! Glad he's doing better. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, we've been hanging out to hear the (big) wee guy is doing better and I hope he is ready to come home asap. It must be really hard and exhausting for you commuting Ephiny, wish we were close enough to help! Your lovely wife is a total rock star for pushing out such a big handsome boy!
    Jolly is so sweet. Glad he's having a good time with his uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and welcome to RJ! I'm sure that was very scary with the transport, but I'm glad to hear he's doing well. Let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry about the scare but congratulations to all three of you! I am so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many congratulations to all of you!! So sorry for the scary start, but I'm so glad to hear that he's doing better now. Here's hoping for a short hospital stay and being home as a family soon :)

    ReplyDelete