The room in which I pumped during my 6 months of Astronomy postdoc now has a sign:
http://failblog.org/2010/10/21/epic-fail-photos-combination-fail-3/
The "lactation station" was essentially a large closet off the back of the liquid nitrogen room, with a bunch of empty file cabinets and a chair. I hope it's gotten some extra amenities to merit its title now. It's nice that they made it available and it certainly served its purpose, but it was definitely put to shame by the lactation rooms available at my current building. Those had sinks, fridges, comfy chairs, a selection of parenting magazines, and no liquid nitrogen! One room even had a pump available for mothers who didn't buy their own (those things are expensive), BYONC (bring your own nipple cones). I attribute the difference to a much greater percentage of women working in administrative positions (most of my current building) than in Physics and Astronomy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I'm impressed by how awesome your current employer is about breastfeeding! I went to a conference this summer where I had to pump sitting on the floor of an empty conference room while I worried someone would walk in. A woman I work with had to pump in a lab prep area where there was only a tarp tied to the cabinets to give her privacy. I was thinking the nitrogen closet was good but your work kicks ass!
ReplyDelete