(I've still had absolutely appalling teaching nightmares over the past couple of days, though -- I wonder how long those will linger. Given that I periodically had student nightmares long after I was no longer a student, I think it might be a while.)
I documented my last day at work with a photo in the bathroom as I departed campus:
Your eye might be drawn to several things:
1.) the enormity of the awkwardly clutched roll of posters that I had to grade, now finished.
2.) that my bag was so full of papers that it didn't even close... all graded now!
3.) the fact that I've seriously let myself go physically, and I didn't even learn from the photo because immediately after said photograph I went and had conveyor belt sushi in ridiculous quantity while grading the exams.
The conveyor belt sushi selections were, however, all-cooked and low-mercury, because the tired, beleaguered, crazy-hair nature of the above photo is not entirely due to having two new courses (a totally new prep and an overhaul of a course with a new prereq), or having taught freshmen, or having to work 16 hour work days twice a week... but rather, it's that I did all of the above while also gestating what we hope will be the next member of our family!
I've been loath to announce this pregnancy because it's been an almost unbearably long road to get here, with several losses along the way, but this time we've made it past the anatomy scan and are currently at the point where babies have survived if born this early. Also, it's starting to just be obvious, as per above picture, so I think it's time to come out of the closet.
Some more info about Baby #2:
- Due October 21st, aka "there had better be an outside baby by Halloween or there will be threat of forcible eviction".
- Code name Iceman, after Top Gun, hoping for a rule-abiding pregnancy!
- Actual name is classified until birth, though it has been selected since before this little one was even in existence. (This time it's Ephiny's chance to get to use one of her ultra-favorite names in the world!)
- Will be providing gender-balance to our family, as boy parts were present along with all the other important bits! We couldn't be more excited about this!!
- Has ridiculously excited big-brother, already concerned about his lack of sock-wearing in utero.
- Head measuring well over a week ahead of the rest of him, so help me.
More about the adventures of Guinevere and Jolly on the beautiful island beaches and in the kitchen, later. Suffice it to say that I am loving my new line of work wholeheartedly!







Congrats! So sorry it was a long road, but unfortunately it sometimes is for us lesbians. But what wonderful news! Couldn't be happier for you both!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! Sorry for the long road, but so happy you've gotten where you wanted to be!
ReplyDeleteThanks, ladies! There's nothing like a four year stint of trying to conceive to make one cherish every incident of vomiting in public (and while changing one's toddler's diapers), so there's definitely a silver lining, which is that I'm loving every moment. :)
ReplyDeleteI just want to say that I love the concept of code-naming the baby while in utero (a preproduction unit, one might say), an idea I will insist on using when Valerie and I start a family. Iceman is a good choice; I happen to know my stepsister was dubbed "Cletus the Fetus" by her father while still in the womb.
ReplyDelete