Sunday, January 31, 2010

Things that are deeply hilarious

Over the past month, Jolly's sense of humor has been developing more. There's really nothing that's more fun than provoking a fit of uncontrollable laughter that lasts a few minutes during which the baby turns red from laughing so hard.

Things that are that funny include:
1. Noisemakers from New Year's. We got one in the white elephant gift exchange, and he fell over from laughing so hard.
2. Pulling on opposite ends of sweatshirt strings as the parent wearing the sweathshirt, tugging back and forth.
3. Throwing things in the air and catching them: toys, crumpled up wrapping paper that makes a crunching sound when caught, burp cloths, leis at a party that land nearly land on Jolly's head before being thrown again.
4. Snapping fingers.

Jolly is SO happy to see the parent who was not at home with him, at the end of the day. Tremendously gratifying. I wholeheartedly love staying home alternating days - it means that I get a chance to cultivate grown up, intellectual conversations in between days when I am singing nursery rhymes and making animal sounds. It's like a sauna - the awesomeness of both experiences is highlighted by the contrast, so I look forward to both my days at work and my days at home.

Being a parent to a six-month-old is so much fun. Jolly is really a companion now, and the world is so interesting.

The most interesting thing in the whole world is still our cat. He has this particular squeal that he does whenever Priscilla shows up. I am pretty sure that his first word will not be Mama, Mummy, milk, food, or anything like that, but that, that it will be something along the lines of cat, kitty, Katze, or goobermonster.

1 comment: