Monday, April 14, 2014

Truck synesthesia and library

I always get heaps of hold books from the library. It's why all three children have their own library cards: so we can get 25*5=125 holds at a time. It generally works really well to keep our kids supplied in books that match their interests, but we hit a snag when I was requesting a CD. I kept requesting it, and kept getting notifications that it was ready for pickup, but then I never actually found it in our pile of books. After I finally thought, "this is odd. I've DEFINITELY requested this more than once now!" I asked the librarian, and she said, "oh, that's because hold CDs are in a different spot, in these drawers!" Oh. In the drawer there were no fewer than three copies of the CD waiting for us.

Excited to finally at long hast have this CD with actual dump truck and garbage truck songs, I put it into the CD player of the minivan. Rip's derisive verdict: "That's NOT a dump truck song!" "No? But they're singing about dump trucks!" "NO. NOT a dump truck song." "What is it then?" "A POOPY song." And then shrieky resistance. Apparently "truck songs" are less about content than about having a certain croony country quality. We've tried again with the CD; Jolly loves it but still a no go with Rip. "This is a POOPY CD."

The boys are otherwise very charming when they're in the mood to be kind. Right now they are coloring on paper plates (purchased in unit of 645 at Costco, with apologies to Ephiny for the enormous quantity, which turned out not to be justified since they are everyone's favorite medium right now and we definitely do not have too many). "That's beautiful!" and "How lovely!" is being uttered by both children about each others respective art projects. (They are both making stop signs. Lots and lots of stop signs. And one big traffic light.)

Jolly is "reading" books a lot, including chapter books and grownup books. It involves turning every page and looking at each page. It's very cute how adamant he is that he needs to FINISH the book before moving on to another activity. I think we're going to keep using our 25 holds per kid as time moves on and the books get longer!

Our new library is open and absolutely lovely, by the way. The loss of the construction site is not felt very keenly because the library is that amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment