Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Not so quiet on the western front

We haven't been blogging because we were without internet access for the week after we moved, and just when it was restored, we started our big annual volunteering project (helping run a local film festival). Unfortunately, on the second day thereof (Saturday), I contracted swine flu.

I started to feel increasingly vile on Sunday, and woke up in the middle of the night with a fever and the whole complement of flu symptoms. Much to our surprise, our new doctor did want to see me - I think because there's only been one positive result on the island, earlier today. Surprise, I got a positive influenza test result this evening - which is 99.4% likely to be H1N1 rather than regular seasonal flu.

So far, Stephanie seems to be about a day behind me in the progression of her symptoms, and Jolyon is just starting to be rather crankier than he usually is and eating constantly. He hasn't hit a fever yet, but we can give him Tylenol when he does. That's pretty much it. Tamiflu is not given to young infants, and also not covered by our health care for people who don't have risk factors. Since we're young and healthy I hope our immune systems will clear this quickly, but we're to call the doctor back if we develop any complications.

I spent the day lining up replacements for work tomorrow, enabling me to stay quarantined. Otherwise, our volunteering stint is cancelled and we're going to camp out at home all week. Coincidentally our free netflix trial covers this week.

But, we love our new home and we love the island geographically and in terms of its community. So, barring the epidemic illness (which we contracted on the mainland, it should be noted), we're all enjoying the fruits of our move very much.

3 comments:

  1. I hope Jolyon weathers the storm okay. But then, he does have two doting mothers to care for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get well soon and enjoy the movies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're all about over it and hope Jolyon's doing ok. And I'm glad you're back to blogging! I was missing my regular installments of Mesdames + baby :-)

    ReplyDelete